Announcement: TSM Backup/Archive Goes Live!
Our enterprise-class backup/archive solution is based on IBM’s Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) software and supports a wide range of client operating systems including MacOS, Windows and Linux.
Any host system running a supported operating system is eligible for this service. Contact us at paradigm [at] jhmi [dot] edu to register!
- fully automated nightly backups
- scalable tape library with 570TB native (uncompressed) capacity
- onsite backup for immediate recovery of lost data
- offsite copy with 256-bit AES encryption
- four LTO5 tape drives for high-throughput archive and retrieval (1.9TB/hour, uncompressed)
- data compression on-the-fly (50% reduction of data size is not unusual)
- 2TB fast random-access disk pool for nightly backup
- 20TB sequential disk pool serving as virtual tape for recent backups
- 10-gigabit Ethernet connectivity to primary IGM storage servers as well as the Hopkins high-speed research network
- provides for one or more redundant copies of primary data as a safeguard against data loss in the event of accidental file deletion or catastrophic server failure.
- provides for long-term storage of important, but infrequently accessed data that will be deleted from primary storage in order to reduce costs.
TSM backups are highly efficient because once a client has completed a full backup cycle, only “incremental” changes are transmitted to the server during subsequent backup runs: data created or moved since the previous incremental are sent to the server; deleted files are marked “expired” in the backup server‘s database and become subject to retention policy.
Retention policy applies to data that has marked “expired” because it no longer exists on primary storage. Our default policy is to retain backup data for 30 days after it has been deleted from the client. In other words: If you delete data which has been backed up to our TSM server, you have 30 days to change your mind. (Longer retention periods are available on request, however this can increase the overall size of the backup data.)
Archive retention is unlimited, because deletion from primary storage is assumed.
Backup/archive storage space on our TSM server is available in 1TB increments at $40/TB/month.
This rate includes an encrypted offsite copy for disaster recovery. Note that space utilized is determined on the backup server, not the client. Thus, data occupancy may be greatly reduced by compression. For example, if 10TB of primary storage compresses to 5TB when stored on the TSM server, the storage fee would only be $200/month (5TB * $40/TB/month). There is no additional fee for the offsite copy.